[Rd] Fwd: Re: RSiteSearch, sos, rdocumentation.org, ...?

Michael Dewey lists at dewey.myzen.co.uk
Thu Sep 8 13:00:54 CEST 2016

I have mixed feelings about this. I used to find the sos package very
useful when I first started using it but as the number of packages has
grown I now find it gives me a huge list which takes a lot of time to
digest. This may of course reflect my rudimentary search term selection
skills.

Michael

On 08/09/2016 11:01, Jonathan Baron wrote:
> OK.  It is sort of fixed and sort of works.
>
> We'll keep it for now, but this is not going to work forever. When
> namazu fails completely I will not have the time to install a new
> search engine.
>
> One option is to use google. For a site like this, I think they will
> want some money, but I'm not sure, and I do not have the time to deal
> with it.
>
> We have over 10,000 packages now. I wonder if searching all help files
> is really helpful anymore.
>
> Jon
>
> On 09/07/16 22:06, Jonathan Baron wrote:
>> Don't do anything yet. I may have found the problem by accident.
>>
>> I tried to use the computer from something else, and it was being
>> drastically slowed down by some leftover processes, which turned out
>> to be xlhtml. That is something that converts Excel files. Apparently,
>> some excel files got into the libraries, and they were causing the
>> indexing to hang completely.
>>
>> I am now running everything again, starting from scratch, and it might
>> work. (I'm doing it wrong, but it is 3/4 done. I will do it right
>> tomorrow, if it works overnight.)
>>
>> Jon
>>
>> On 09/07/16 16:53, Jonathan Baron wrote:
>>> Spencer,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the quick reply.
>>>
>>> I am open to someone who knows Perl getting an account on my site and
>>> trying to get it working. It will probably involve fixing more than
>>> one thing, as mknmz depends on some perl modules that also generate
>>> errors.
>>>
>>> My main contribution is figuring out how to extract the html help
>>> files and vignettes only, with some help from R developers and Fedora
>>> maintainers. Here is the trick, for someone who wants to do it:
>>>
>>> m0 <- rownames(installed.packages())
>>> m1 <- m0[which(m0 %in% needed.packages)]
>>> source("http://bioconductor.org/biocLite.R")
>>> update.packages(oldPkgs=m1,repos=biocinstallRepos())

http://www.dewey.myzen.co.uk/home.html