[Rd] R CMD check warning about compiler warning flags

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Mon Dec 25 16:42:30 CET 2017

On 25/12/2017 7:00 AM, Iñaki Úcar wrote:
>> The one negative aspect of Winston's effort is caused by this weakness. If
>> you tell me that something happened in revision 73909, I know it was recent.
>> If you tell me that something appeared in commit 2e80059, it wastes my time
>> looking up that commit and putting it in context.
>
> The output from "git describe" is something similar to an svn
> revision: it describes the number of commits since the previous
> annotated tag. Something like <tag_name>-<#commits>-g<commit_hash>,
> e.g., v3.5.0-56-1234567.

But we're not using git, we're just sending emails back and forth.  I
don't need to run svn to get some useful information from the number
73909.  Winston's web page at
https://github.com/wch/r-source/commit/2e80059 does display the number
73909 if you know where to look, but his email doesn't contain it.

I don't know about other svn users, but I'd be perfectly content to read
something like "This appears to have been added in rev 73909 (diff shown
here: https://github.com/wch/r-source/commit/2e80059)."

Duncan Murdoch