[Rd] Rscript fails with some packages (for example, h5)

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Wed Dec 27 18:28:38 CET 2017

On 27/12/2017 9:11 AM, Sun Yijiang wrote:
> Thanks for the details. I’m new to R, and I’m not blaming anything here,
> just that I’m still not clear what good it makes to keep this inconsistency
> between R and Rscript. To me (and probably to many others from Perl/Python
> etc.), this is shockingly weird. I can live with that, and I also want to
> know why.

As Dirk said, the argument was that the methods package used to take a
long time to load, and many uses of Rscript shouldn't have to pay that
time cost.  I don't know whether that's still true or not.  Dirk and I
agree that the inconsistency between R and Rscript is undesirable, but
neither of us is in a position to change it, or thinks it's worth the
effort to argue for a change.

Duncan