[Rd] Question about R developpment

Andrie de Vries apdevries at gmail.com
Sun Jun 11 01:50:09 CEST 2017

Martyn and Duncan are both correct.

I am on the Microsoft team that creates and distributes Microsoft R Open
(MRO).  We make absolutely no changes to R at all, just some enchancements
in the distribution.  As already pointed out:
* We add the Intel MKL to replace the built-in BLAS. This is similar to
replacing the BLAS with OpenBLAS or Atlas - readily available for Linux
distributions of R
* We make some changes in the RProfile.site file, notably pointing to an
MRAN snapshot, in turn a timestamped mirror of CRAN
* We add some package, e.g. foreach and iterators - all of these packages
are on CRAN.

In Microsoft R Client and Microsoft R Server we go further:
* We add proprietary packages that add scalability and connectivity to SQL
Server, Hadoop and other big data platforms
* But, again, the underlying R code remains unchanged.

In addition, Microsoft provides bug fixes and other enhancements to R
itself.

Microsoft remains committed to supporting both the R Foundation and the R
Consortium.

I hope this helps.

Andrie

(Andrie de Vries, Senior Programme Manager, Microsoft)
(You can also contact me at mailto:adevries at microsoft.com)