[Rd] [WISH / PATCH] possibility to split string literals across multiple lines

Gábor Csárdi csardi.gabor at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 17:18:44 CEST 2017

I don't think it is reasonable to change the parser this way. This is
currently valid R code:

a <- "foo"
"bar"

and with the new syntax, it is also valid, but with a different
meaning. Or you can even consider

a <- "foo"
bar %>% func() %>% print()

etc.

I like the idea of string literals, but the C/C++ way clearly does not
work. The Python/Julia way might, i.e.:

"""this is a
multi-line
lineral"""