[Rd] Simplify and By Convert Factors To Numeric Values

Charles C. Berry ccberry at ucsd.edu
Fri Jun 16 21:12:43 CEST 2017

On Fri, 16 Jun 2017, Dario Strbenac wrote:

> Good day,
>

> It's not described anywhere in the help page, but tapply and by
> functions will, by default, convert factors into numeric values. Perhaps
> this needs to be documented or the behaviour changed.

It *is* described in the help page.

This returns a list of objects and each object class has "factor"

tapply(rep(1:2,2), rep(1:2,2),
   function(x) factor(LETTERS[x], levels = LETTERS))

and this

>> tapply(1:3, 1:3, function(x) factor(LETTERS[x], levels = LETTERS))
> 1 2 3
> 1 2 3

returns a vector object with no class.

> The documentation states "... tapply returns a multi-way array
> containing the values ..." but doesn't mention anything about converting
> factors into integers. I'd expect the values to be of the same type.

and also states

"If FUN returns a single atomic value for each such cell ... and when
simplify is TRUE ...  if the return value has a class (e.g., an object of
class "Date") the class is discarded."

which is what just happened in your example.

Maybe you want:

unlist(tapply(1:3, 1:3, function(x) factor(LETTERS[x],
   levels = LETTERS),simplify=FALSE))

Trying to preserve class worked here in a way you might have
hoped/expected, but might lead to difficulties in other uses.

HTH,

Chuck