[Rd] dist function in R is very slow

Moshe Olshansky m_olshansky at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 19 08:11:19 CEST 2017

Hi Stefan,
You are right about the possible loss of accuracy computing the Euclidean distance the way I did. In some cases you probably even can get a negative value to compute a square root (so I am making all negative numbers 0). To do what I did one must know that it is all right in their case.I tried wordspace.openmp wuth 8 threads and it reduces the time to just over 2.5 minutes. This is more than enough for me.I am not sure whether you have any chance to beat the speed of (t)crossprod since they may be using a (complexity-wise) faster algorithm for matrix multiplication (may be with FFT - I am not sure).
Once again, thank you very much for your comments and help.