[Rd] R libcurl does not recognize server certs

Martin Morgan martin.morgan at roswellpark.org
Mon Mar 27 22:31:01 CEST 2017

On 03/27/2017 03:09 PM, Roman, John wrote:
> Dirk,
> ive changed the subject given the nature of the present debugging.  Im aware i can extend extras from download.file to install.packages however
> im curious to know why libcurl in the R invocation does not honor the CA bundle on my system.
>
> how would I pass a CA bundle to install.packages?  the function has numerous arguments before the extras are taken.

A little shot-in-the-dark but on Linux I have

$ curl-config --ca
/etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt

and in R ?download.file I'm told (the documentation may read as
window-specific, but I don't think that's the case)

      set environment variable 'CURL_CA_BUNDLE' to the path to a
      certificate bundle file, usually named 'ca-bundle.crt' or
      'curl-ca-bundle.crt'.  (This is normally done for a binary

So if I were having trouble I might say (or set the environment variable
in some other way, e.g., as part of an alias to R)

 > Sys.setenv(CURL_CA_BUNDLE="/etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt")
 > download.file("https://, tempfile())

Maybe with more info about your OS and R installation a more transparent
solution would offer itself; I'd guess that the bundle location is
inferred when R is built from source, and somehow there has been a
disconnect between your R installation and certificate location, e.g.,
moving the certificate location after R installation.

Martin Morgan