[Rd] side-effect of calling functions via `::`

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Sep 1 14:03:22 CEST 2017

    > A package should probably never register a S3 method unless it owns
    > either the generic or the class.

I agree... (and typically it does "own" the class)

    > Here `formula.tools` owns neither.

i.e., it neither defines as.character() nor class "formula".

    > Instead of registering the method, it should export it like a regular
    > function. This way S3 dispatch is based on lexical scoping rather than
    > session-wide side effect.

I don't the 2nd sentence above is quite correct.  S3 method
registration should be done (in the case it should) and S3
dispatch is not just based on lexical scoping but also on S3
method registration.

    > Lionel

It is still the case that :: silently loads the namespace if
needed, and that "things may behave differently" after the use '::', because
(and I still think  `::`  is much  "over used")

Martin