[Rd] Detecting whether a process exists or not by its PID?

Tomas Kalibera tom@@@k@liber@ @ending from gm@il@com
Fri Aug 31 14:51:11 CEST 2018

On 08/31/2018 01:18 AM, Henrik Bengtsson wrote:
> Hi, I'd like to test whether a (localhost) PSOCK cluster node is still
> running or not by its PID, e.g. it may have crashed / core dumped.
> I'm ok with getting false-positive results due to *another* process
> with the same PID has since started.
kill(sig=0) is specified by POSIX but indeed as you say there is a race
condition due to PID-reuse.  In principle, detecting that a worker
process is still alive cannot be done correctly outside base R. At
user-level I would probably consider some watchdog, e.g. the parallel
tasks would be repeatedly touching a file.

In base R, one can do this correctly for forked processes via
mcparallel/mccollect, not for PSOCK cluster workers which are based on
system() (and I understand it would be a useful feature)

 > j <- mcparallel(Sys.sleep(1000))
 > mccollect(j, wait=FALSE)
NULL

# kill the child process

 > mccollect(j, wait=FALSE)
$`1542`
NULL

More details indeed in ?mcparallel. The key part is that the job must be
started as non-detached and as soon as mccollect() collects is,
mccollect() must never be called on it again.

Tomas