[Rd] Detecting whether a process exists or not by its PID?

Gábor Csárdi c@@rdi@g@bor @ending from gm@il@com
Fri Aug 31 15:13:22 CEST 2018

On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 2:51 PM Tomas Kalibera <tomas.kalibera using gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> kill(sig=0) is specified by POSIX but indeed as you say there is a race
> condition due to PID-reuse.  In principle, detecting that a worker
> process is still alive cannot be done correctly outside base R.

I am not sure why you think so.

> At user-level I would probably consider some watchdog, e.g. the parallel
> tasks would be repeatedly touching a file.

I am pretty sure that there are simpler and better solutions. E.g. one
would be to
ask the worker process for its startup time (with as much precision as possible)
and then use the (pid, startup_time) pair as a unique id.

With this you can check if the process is still running, by checking
that the pid exists,
and that its startup time matches.

This is all very simple with the ps package, on Linux, macOS and Windows.

Gabor