[Rd] Documentation examples for lm and glm

Thomas Yee t@yee @ending from @uckl@nd@@c@nz
Mon Dec 17 07:57:29 CET 2018

Thanks for the discussion. I do feel quite strongly that
the variables should always be a part of a data frame. Then
functions such as summary() and pairs() can operate on them all
simultaneously.... regression is only one part of the analysis. And
what if there are lots of variables? Have them all scattered
about the workspace? One of them could be easily overwritten.

The generic predict() will still work when lm() was not assigned
a data frame, but then the 'newdata' argument needs be assigned
a data.frame. So this suggests that the original fit should have
used a data frame too.

BTW I believe attach() should be discouraged. Functions like
with() and within() are safer. Many users of attach() do not seem
to detach(), and subtle problems can arise with attach()---quite
dangerous really. The online help has a section called "Good
practice" which is good but I think it should go a little further
by actively discouraging its use in the first place.

I do not wish to be contentious on all this... just encouraging
good practice that's all.

cheers
Thomas