[Rd] Documentation examples for lm and glm

S Ellison S@Elli@on @ending from LGCGroup@com
Mon Dec 17 13:49:14 CET 2018

> From: Thomas Yee [mailto:t.yee using auckland.ac.nz]
>
> Thanks for the discussion. I do feel quite strongly that
> the variables should always be a part of a data frame.

This seems pretty much a decision for R core, and I think it's useful to have raised the issue.

But I, er, feel strongly that strong feelings and 'always' are unsafe in a best practice argument.

First, other folk with different use-cases or work practice may see 'best practice' quite differently. So I would pretty much always expect exceptions.

Second, for examples of capability, there are too many exceptions in this instance. For example:
glm() can take a two-column matrix as a single response variable.
lm() can take a matrix as a response variable.
lm() can take a complete data frame as a predictor (see ?stackloss)

None of these work naturally if everything is in a data frame, and some won’t work at all.

Steve E

This email and any attachments are confidential. Any use, copying or
disclosure other than by the intended recipient is unauthorised. If
immediately via +44(0)20 8943 7000 or notify postmaster using lgcgroup.com
and delete this message and any copies from your computer and network.
LGC Limited. Registered in England 2991879.
Registered office: Queens Road, Teddington, Middlesex, TW11 0LY, UK