[Rd] OfficeScan deletes Rterm as malware

Joris Meys jori@mey@ @ending from gm@il@com
Thu Dec 20 15:07:22 CET 2018

Dear Roland,

quite surprising, as online scans of TrendMicro turn up completely clean.
It looks like a false positive, which you can report to TrendMicro as
explained here :

https://success.trendmicro.com/solution/1115668-preventing-behavior-monitoring-false-detections-in-officescan#collapse1

On the same website they explain how you can whitelist it. I'll check at
home with a few other antiviruses, but I'm pretty certain this is a case of
TrendMicro being overly enthousiast in its protection.

Cheers
Joris

On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 2:52 PM Roland Fuß <roland.fuss using thuenen.de> wrote:

> I'm not sure if the problem is actually with R but thought I should
>
> After Peter's email regarding the R 3.5.2 release today, I installed the
> Windows version right away (directly from CRAN and not from a mirror).
>
> Unfortunately, my institute's AV sofware TrendMicro OfficeScan 12.0.5147
> Service Pack 1 stops and deletes Rterm.exe when running Rcmd.exe INSTALL
> with a local source package. It reports "OfficeScan detected a Behavior
> Monitoring policy violation and blocked the offending process(es)." and
> "Unauthorized File Encryption" by Rterm.exe.
>
> I've deinstalled R 3.5.2 for now and switched back to 3.5.1, which works
> fine.
>
> Best,
>
> Roland Fuß

Joris Meys
Statistical consultant

Department of Data Analysis and Mathematical Modelling
Ghent University
Coupure Links 653, B-9000 Gent (Belgium)
<https://maps.google.com/?q=Coupure+links+653,%C2%A0B-9000+Gent,%C2%A0Belgium&entry=gmail&source=g>

Biowiskundedagen 2017-2018
http://www.biowiskundedagen.ugent.be/