[Rd] makeCluster hangs

T. Florian Jaeger fjaeger at ur.rochester.edu
Sat Feb 10 21:11:14 CET 2018

Hi all,

I can't get the functionality of the package parallel to work.
Specifically, makeCluster() hangs when I run it. I first noticed the
problem when trying to run Rstan with multiple cores and the traced it
back to the core package parallel. The following results in R hanging
after the call to makeCluster.

library(parallel)

# Calculate the number of cores
no_cores <- detectCores() - 1

# Initiate cluster
cl <- makeCluster(no_cores)

I'm running MacOS High Sierra 10.13.3 (17D47) on a MacbookPro 2017
laptop with 4 cores.

platform       x86_64-apple-darwin15.6.0
arch           x86_64
os             darwin15.6.0
system         x86_64, darwin15.6.0
status
major          3
minor          4.3
year           2017
month          11
day            30
svn rev        73796
language       R
version.string R version 3.4.3 (2017-11-30)
nickname       Kite-Eating Tree

The problem replicates in R --vanilla

I've spent hours googling for solutions but can't find any reports of
this problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Florian