[Rd] makeCluster hangs

Henrik Bengtsson henrik.bengtsson at gmail.com
Sat Feb 10 22:39:02 CET 2018

A few quick comments:

* You mention R --vanilla, but make sure to try with
parallel::makeCluster(), so that you don't happen to pick up
snow::makeCluster() if 'snow' is attached and ahead of parallel on the
search() path.

* Try creating a single background worker, i.e. parallel::makeCluster(1L).

* Try with cl <- future::makeClusterPSOCK(1L, verbose = TRUE), which
gives the same thing, but it also show you some details on what it
does internally; that may give some clues where it stalls.

/Henrik