[Rd] CRAN Check warnings with GCC 8.1

Peter Langfelder peter@l@ngfelder @ending from gm@il@com
Fri Jun 15 22:53:35 CEST 2018

Some time ago I (and some other CRAN package maintainers) got an email
from Brian Ripley (copied below) regarding compiler warnings under gcc
8.1. In my case this concerns package PropClust
(https://CRAN.R-project.org/package=PropClust). The check with gcc 8.1
(https://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/bdr/gcc8/PropClust.out) produced a
warning about an uninitialized variable.

I cannot reproduce the warning under gcc 8.1.1 using standard R CMD
check (with or without --as-cran) under R Under development (unstable)
(2018-05-24 r74781); the check finishes "OK" without any warnings or
notes.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to reproduce the warning,
or is this something specific to a particular gcc version? My gcc
version 8.1.1 20180502 (Red Hat 8.1.1-1).

Thanks,

Peter