[Rd] potential Bug in R 3.5.0

Jeroen Ooms jeroenoom@ @ending from gm@il@com
Mon Jun 25 13:30:07 CEST 2018

On Sun, Jun 24, 2018 at 8:41 PM, Jochen Wirsing <jw1085 using wildcats.unh.edu> wrote:
> Hello,
> I am using R under Win7 and Antergos. After installing R 3.5.0 I ran into
> several issues regarding gfortran not working properly and packages not
> installing properly when requiring dependencies (which is quite often the case
> when you have to reinstall all packages for the new R version).
> Unfortunately, I cannot reproduce the gfortran issue at the moment (occuring
> under Antergos), but regarding the depency-issue, https://pastebin.com/
> 0nU5n3pH shows one instance of the problem, when using "tidyverse". Adding
> "dependencies = TRUE" does not help.

It looks like R thinks those packages (‘dbplyr’, ‘rvest’, ‘xml2’) are
already installed, but is unable to load them. I have never used
'Antergos' but could it be that those packages were installed with R
3.4 and therefore stopped working after you upgraded to R 3.5? You
need to rebuild all R packages after you update to R. The easiest way
is to run:

  update.packages(ask = F, checkBuilt = T)

Also check your .libPaths() to make sure that there are no old
packages left behind in older directories.

If this is not the issue, try finding out where those packages live
using e.g. find.packages("xml2") and see what error you get when
trying to load them with library("xml2").