[Rd] Suggestion: use mustWork = TRUE as the default for system.file

Irene Steves irene@@teve@ @ending from gm@il@com
Fri Sep 14 11:16:43 CEST 2018

Hello all,

Currently, the default behavior for system.file() is to return "" for
faulty paths.

I've found this behavior to be difficult when debugging, since it passes
the empty path onto other functions.  I initially wrote in errors myself
(with code like `if(path == "") stop(“Path not found”)`), but I now use
mustWork=TRUE or fs::path_package(), which errors by default.

What are the general thoughts on this issue?  I would love to
see mustWork=TRUE become the default in future versions of R, but
I would be happy to hear any counterarguments (or support!) for this
suggestion.

Cheers,
Irene Steves

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]