[Rd] Suggestion: use mustWork = TRUE as the default for system.file

Tomas Kalibera tom@@@k@liber@ @ending from gm@il@com
Mon Sep 17 07:02:35 CEST 2018

Hello Irene,

we can only change the documented behavior when there is a very strong
reason to do so, because it indeed can break existing code. A lot of
existing code would depend on the current behavior, using e.g. nzchar()
to check the output of system.file(). Changing the behavior that is used
on error paths would be particularly tricky, because the error paths are
typically not covered by tests (normally when considering a change I
would run tests for all CRAN+BIOC packages to test if that change would
be too disruptive, but it would not help in this case). I am afraid such
a change is impossible.

Best
Tomas