[Rd] Underscores in package names

Gabriel Becker g@bembecker @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Aug 9 20:41:15 CEST 2019

On Fri, Aug 9, 2019 at 11:05 AM neonira Arinoem <neonira using gmail.com> wrote:

> Won't it be better to have a convention that allows lowercase, dash,
> underscore and dot as only valid characters for new package names and keep
> the ancient format validation scheme for older package names?

Validation isn't the only thing we need to do wrt package names. we also
need to detect them, and particularly,  in at least one case, extract them
from package tarball filenames (which we also need to be able to
detect/find).

If we were writing a new language and people wanted to allow snake case in
package names, sure, but we're talking about about changing how a small but
package names and package tarballs have always (or at least a very long
time, I didn't check) had the same form, and it seems expressive enough to
me? I mean periods are allowed if you feel a strong need for something
other than a letter.

Note that this proposal would make mypackage_2.3.1 a valid *package name*,
whose corresponding tarball name might be mypackage_2.3.1_2.3.2 after a
patch. Yes its a silly example, but why allow that kind of ambiguity?

For the record @Ben Bolker <bbolker using gmail.com>

Packages that mix case anywhere in their package name:

> table(grepl("((^[a-z].*[A-Z])|(^[A-Z].*[a-z]))", row.names(a1)))

FALSE  TRUE

 8818  5932

Packages which start with lower case and have at least one upper

> table(grepl("((^[a-z].*[A-Z]))", row.names(a1)))

FALSE  TRUE

12315  2435

Packages which start with uppercase and have at least one lower

> table(grepl("((^[A-Z].*[a-z]))", row.names(a1)))

FALSE  TRUE

11253  3497

Packages which take advantage of the above-mentioned legality of periods

> table(grepl(".", row.names(a1), fixed=TRUE))

FALSE  TRUE

14259   491

Packages with pure lower-case alphabetic names

> table(grepl("^[a-z]+$", row.names(a1)))

FALSE  TRUE

 7712  7038

Packages with pure upper-case alphabetic names

> table(grepl("^[A-Z]+$", row.names(a1)))

FALSE  TRUE

13636  1114

Package with at least one numeric digit in their name

> table(grepl("[0-9]", row.names(a1)))

FALSE  TRUE

14208   542

It would be interesting to do an actual analysis of the changes in these
trends over time, but I Really should be working, so that will have to
either wait or be done by someone else.
Best,
~G