[Rd] Writing files with long paths on Windows fails even after enabling long paths

Tomas Kalibera tom@@@k@||ber@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Jul 24 10:14:19 CEST 2019

Thanks for the note. R uses MAX_PATH internally at a number of places
(both directly in Windows specific code and indirectly via PATH_MAX to
reflect POSIX) and sometimes uses POSIX functions to access files and
directories, so it would be a non-trivial change and would require more
Windows-specific code in the code base. I expect external libraries to
also depend on MAX_PATH and sometimes use POSIX functions (when
supported on Windows) to access files and directories. Mingw which we
use on Windows also has PATH_MAX derived from MAX_PATH to reflect POSIX
behavior and allow use of POSIX-like functions.  It is hence even
unclear how big effect this change if done in R could have on R end
users, the limit would just remain in many situations. So I am afraid
the path length limit on Windows in R cannot be removed/increased in the
near future. Please feel free to submit a wishlist report to bugzilla,
where this could be revisited in the future.

Best
Tomas