[Rd] Offer zip builds

Tue Jun 4 03:04:26 CEST 2019

On 01/06/2019 11:02 p.m., Steven Penny wrote:
> If you go here:
>
> https://cran.cnr.berkeley.edu/bin/windows/base
>
> you see EXE installers for Windows. This contrasts with other programming
> languages that offer both an executable installer and ZIP files that can be
> extracted and run. For example Go:

We did offer both zips and an installer until 2001 or 2002.  It was
decided then that it wasn't worth the trouble of offering both.

I don't recall anyone asking for the zip in the 17 years after that
change, until now (though I haven't been paying attention lately, since
I retired from building the binaries a couple of years ago).

If you think it's worthwhile to do it, then I don't think anyone would
object if you went ahead and did so.

Duncan Murdoch