[Rd] Offer zip builds

Steven Penny @vnpenn @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Jun 4 03:16:39 CEST 2019

On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 8:04 PM Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> I don't recall anyone asking for the zip in the 17 years after that
> change, until now (though I haven't been paying attention lately, since
> I retired from building the binaries a couple of years ago).
>
> If you think it's worthwhile to do it, then I don't think anyone would
> object if you went ahead and did so.

If I visited this page:

https://cran.cnr.berkeley.edu/bin/windows/base

and found Zip builds I would use those. Not only do those not exist, but the
installer has been created in such a way that it cant even be extracted from.
Just because you dont recall it, doesnt mean the demand isnt there. The R
community isnt exactly reachable:

> NOTE: due to abuse by spammers, since 2016-07-09 only “members” (including all
> who have previously submitted bugs) can submit new bugs on R’s Bugzilla. For
> now, either post (e-mail) your bug report to R-devel or ask an R Core member to
> add you manually to R’s Bugzilla members.

http://r-project.org/bugs.html

So bugs and feature requests cant even be posted to bugzilla. Then regarding the
mailing list, even if subscribed you cant post, as all posts are moderated.
Compare to other languages, where you just log in an post an issue:

- https://github.com/crystal-lang/crystal/issues
- https://github.com/dart-lang/sdk/issues
- https://github.com/dotnet/coreclr/issues
- https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/issues
- https://github.com/ponylang/ponyc/issues
- https://github.com/ziglang/zig/issues

If R team is happy with current status quo, then do nothing. If they are
interested in growing the userbase this might be one way to do it.