[Rd] [External] undefined symbol errors when compiling package using ALTREP API

Tierney, Luke |uke-t|erney @end|ng |rom u|ow@@edu
Tue Jun 4 18:52:57 CEST 2019

On Tue, 4 Jun 2019, Mark Klik wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm developing a package (lazyvec) that makes full use of the ALTREP
> framework (R >= 3.6.0).
> One application of the package is to wrap existing ALTREP vectors in a new
> ALTREP vector and pass all calls from R to the contained object. The
> purpose of this is to provide a diagnostic framework for working with
> ALTREP vectors and show information about internal calls.
>
> The package builds on Windows and OSX but fails to build on Linux as can be
> seen from the link to the Travis build:
> https://travis-ci.org/fstpackage/lazyvec/jobs/539442806
>
> The reason of build failure is that many ALTREP methods generate 'undefined
> symbol' errors upon building the package (on Linux). I've checked the R
> source code and the undefined symbols seems to be related to the
> 'attribute_hidden' before the function definition. For example, the method
> 'ALTVEC_EXTRACT_SUBSET' is defined as:
>
> SEXP attribute_hidden ALTVEC_EXTRACT_SUBSET(SEXP x, SEXP indx, SEXP call)
>
> My question is why these differences between Windows / OSX and Linux exist
> and if they are intentional?

It is intentional that this not be part of the public API. This is
true of almost all functions with an ALTREP prefix. You need a
different approach that avoids using these directly.

Best,

luke