[Rd] Halfway through writing an "IDE" with support for R; Proof of concept, and request for suggestions.

Abby Spurdle @purd|e@@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sat Jun 15 01:23:55 CEST 2019

On Fri, Jun 14, 2019 at 7:24 PM Iñaki Ucar <iucar using fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> There are many similar projects that are mature

I'm not sure what projects you're referring to.

If we create some constraints:

(1) Internal systems consoles (*plural*).
Rules out most things.
Noting that many tools are designed to bypass the console.

(2) Modern user interface.
Rules out Vim and Emacs.

(3) File system based rather than (IDE-dependent) project based.
Rules out Eclipse and many other IDEs.

(4) Multi-language focus.
Rules out RStudio and many other IDEs.

(5) Completely open source and completely free.
Also rules out RStudio, which limites many features to it's enterprise
edition.

(6) Cross platform desktop application, not web based.
(However, there is a need for web based tools).

None of the tools that I've looked at satisfy these constraints.
But if you know of some, I'd like to know... And I would consider
contributing...

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]