[Rd] R-Forge > GitHub?

Wed Jun 26 21:42:42 CEST 2019

On 26/06/2019 1:38 p.m., Spencer Graves wrote:
>        Thanks.  I'm still having problems:
>

>              1.  I went to "github.com" and logged in with my standard
> GitHub account
>

>              2.  Then I clicked "+" in the upper right, just left of my
> GitHub ID icon, and selected "Import a repository", as Lionel suggested.
>

>              3.  " Your old repository’s clone URL" =
> "https://r-forge.r-project.org/projects/ecdat/" with "Name" = "Ecdat".
>

>                    ** >> This failed, first giving me a 500 failure
> code, then reporting " Repository creation failed."  When I tried it
> again, I got, "The repository Ecdat already exists on this account."
>

>        What do you suggest I try next?

How complicated is your R-forge repository?  Are you hosting more than
one package there?  Are you using branches and tags?

If it's really simple, I'd recommend importing from the Github read-only
copy, rather than from R-forge.  R-forge has a non-standard setup for
repositories, and you probably don't want to import that to Github. (A
few years ago devtools didn't even work properly on R-forge because of
the non-standard setup.  I don't know if Github will be able to handle
it.)  The creator of "https://github.com/rforge/ecdat" simplified things
a lot, ignoring branches, tags, etc.  For most repositories, this is fine.

Your first step will probably be to delete the existing ecdat repository
which showed up in your second error message. Instructions for that are
here:  https://help.github.com/en/articles/deleting-a-repository.

Duncan Murdoch