[Rd] Should CRAN accept packages with non-R code that transcompiles into R code?

Gabriel Becker g@bembecker @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Mar 5 00:52:24 CET 2019

Abs (?),

I have thought about and have (somewhere "up near the top" of my todo list)
prototyping a preprocessor for R, and I have relevant code that emits
(transpiles, in a way) structured comments into S4 code in
https://github.com/gmbecker/S4Coffee.

All that said, until/unless the preprocessor is officially part of the R
CMD build step, what putting code like that on CRAN would look like is you
keep the raw code in /inst somewhere, and you do the emitting of R code
into R/ before building the tarball for submitting. And if you do that CRAN
will hav eno problem accepting such a package provided it isn't disallowed
in some other way.

Best,
~G