[Rd] Should CRAN accept packages with non-R code that transcompiles into R code?

Abs Spurdle @purd|e@@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Mar 5 21:41:10 CET 2019

On Tue, Mar 5, 2019 at 12:52 PM Gabriel Becker <gabembecker using gmail.com>
wrote:

> I have thought about and have (somewhere "up near the top" of my todo
> list) prototyping a preprocessor for R, and I have relevant code that emits
> (transpiles, in a way) structured comments into S4 code in
> https://github.com/gmbecker/S4Coffee.
>
> All that said, until/unless the preprocessor is officially part of the R
> CMD build step, what putting code like that on CRAN would look like is you
> keep the raw code in /inst somewhere, and you do the emitting of R code
> into R/ before building the tarball for submitting. And if you do that CRAN
> will hav eno problem accepting such a package provided it isn't disallowed
> in some other way.

I think that I would prefer to generate (and run) the R code during
.onLoad(), rather than pre-generate it and put it in the R subdirectory.
If it's in the R subdirectory, then we have two copies of the same thing,
plus it would need to be documented using the rd format, which I would like
to minimize, in favor other documentation formats.
Which is where CRAN may not like it...

In regards to S4Coffee, it sounds promising.
I hope you get in finished in the near future.
And I will take a closer look at it.

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]