[Rd] Questions on the R C API

Wang Jiefei @zwj|08 @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Nov 5 00:40:57 CET 2019

Hi Morgan,

My solutions might not be the best one(I believe it's not), but it should
work for your question.

1. Have you considered Rf_duplicate function? If you want to change the
value of `a` and reset it later, you have to have a duplication somewhere
for resetting it. Instead of changing the value of `a` directly, why not
changing the value of a duplicated `a`? So you do not have to reset it.

2. I think a pairlist behaves like a linked list(I might be wrong here and
please correct me if so). Therefore, there is no simple way to locate an
element in a pairlist. As for as I know, R defines a set of
convenient functions for you to access a limited number of elements. See
below

```
#define CAR(e) ((e)->u.listsxp.carval)
#define CDR(e) ((e)->u.listsxp.cdrval)
#define CAAR(e) CAR(CAR(e))
#define CDAR(e) CDR(CAR(e))
#define CADR(e) CAR(CDR(e))
#define CDDR(e) CDR(CDR(e))
#define CDDDR(e) CDR(CDR(CDR(e)))
#define CADDR(e) CAR(CDR(CDR(e)))
#define CADDDR(e) CAR(CDR(CDR(CDR(e))))
#define CAD4R(e) CAR(CDR(CDR(CDR(CDR(e)))))
```

You can use them to get first a few arguments from a pairlist. Another
solution would be converting the pairlist into a list so that you can use
the methods defined for a list to access any element. I do not know which C
function can achieve that but `as.list` at R level should be able to do
this job, you can evaluate an R function at C level and get the list
result( By calling `Rf_eval`). I think this operation is relatively low
cost because the list should only contain a set of pointers pointing to
each element. There is no object duplication(Again I might be wrong here).

3. You can get unevaluated expression at the R level before you call the C
function and pass it to your C function( by calling `substitute` function).
However, from my vague memory, the expression would be eventually evaluated
at the C level even you pass the expression to it. Therefore, I think you
can create a list of unevaluated arguments before you enter the C function,
so your C function can expect a list rather than a pairlist as its
argument. This can solve both your second and third questions.

Best,
Jiefei