[Rd] Questions on the R C API

Morgan Morgan morg@n@em@||box @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Nov 5 08:35:57 CET 2019

Thank you for your reply Jiefei.
I think in theory your solution should work. I'll have to give them a try.

On Mon, 4 Nov 2019 23:41 Wang Jiefei, <szwjf08 using gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Morgan,
>
> My solutions might not be the best one(I believe it's not), but it should
> work for your question.
>
> 1. Have you considered Rf_duplicate function? If you want to change the
> value of `a` and reset it later, you have to have a duplication somewhere
> for resetting it. Instead of changing the value of `a` directly, why not
> changing the value of a duplicated `a`? So you do not have to reset it.
>
> 2. I think a pairlist behaves like a linked list(I might be wrong here and
> please correct me if so). Therefore, there is no simple way to locate an
> element in a pairlist. As for as I know, R defines a set of
> convenient functions for you to access a limited number of elements. See
> below
>
> ```
> #define CAR(e) ((e)->u.listsxp.carval)
> #define CDR(e) ((e)->u.listsxp.cdrval)
> #define CAAR(e) CAR(CAR(e))
> #define CDAR(e) CDR(CAR(e))
> #define CADR(e) CAR(CDR(e))
> #define CDDR(e) CDR(CDR(e))
> #define CDDDR(e) CDR(CDR(CDR(e)))
> #define CADDR(e) CAR(CDR(CDR(e)))
> #define CADDDR(e) CAR(CDR(CDR(CDR(e))))
> #define CAD4R(e) CAR(CDR(CDR(CDR(CDR(e)))))
> ```
>
> You can use them to get first a few arguments from a pairlist. Another
> solution would be converting the pairlist into a list so that you can use
> the methods defined for a list to access any element. I do not know which C
> function can achieve that but `as.list` at R level should be able to do
> this job, you can evaluate an R function at C level and get the list
> result( By calling `Rf_eval`). I think this operation is relatively low
> cost because the list should only contain a set of pointers pointing to
> each element. There is no object duplication(Again I might be wrong here).

So there is no way to reset a pairlist to its first element?

> 3. You can get unevaluated expression at the R level before you call the C
> function and pass it to your C function( by calling `substitute` function).
> However, from my vague memory, the expression would be eventually evaluated
> at the C level even you pass the expression to it. Therefore, I think you
> can create a list of unevaluated arguments before you enter the C function,
> so your C function can expect a list rather than a pairlist as its
> argument. This can solve both your second and third questions.

Correct me if I am wrong but does it mean that I will have to change "..."
to "list(...)" and use .Call instead of .External?

Also does it mean that to avoid expression to be evaluated at the R level,
I have to use "list" or "substitute"? The function "switch" in R does not
use them but manage to achieve that.

switch(1, "a", stop("a"))
#[1] "a"

It is a primitive but I don't understand how it manage to do that.

Best,
Morgan