[Rd] improving the performance of install.packages

Pages, Herve hp@ge@ @end|ng |rom |redhutch@org
Sat Nov 9 00:34:02 CET 2019

Actually there is one gotcha here: even if a package has not changed
(i.e. same exact hash), there are situations where you want to reinstall
it because one package it depends on has changed. This is because some
of the stuff that gets cached at installation time (e.g. method table)
can become stale and needs to be resynced.

We sometimes have to deal with this kind of situation in Bioconductor
when we make changes to some infrastructure packages. To avoid package
caches to become out-of-sync on the user machine after the user gets the
new version of the infrastructure package, we also bump the versions of
all the reverse deps for which the cache needs to be resynced. A side
effect of the version bumps is to also trigger build and propagation of
new Windows and Mac binaries for the reverse deps affected by the
change, which is good, because they also need to be rebuilt and
reinstalled. This is an ugly situation but luckily a rare one and it
generally happens in BioC devel only.

H.

Hervé Pagès

Program in Computational Biology