[Rd] improving the performance of install.packages

Sat Nov 9 16:35:22 CET 2019

Joshua,

Doing this well "horizontally" (across different OSs even though for just one
domain, like CRAN and R) is difficult.

We have decent "vertical" solutions (with one OS / distro) for (at least
some) use / deployment cases as I show in a brief blog post and video here

  http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2019/06/09#022_rocker_and_ppas

  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIjWirNma-8&t=19s

Installing either 'tidyverse' or 'rstan' reduces to a single 'apt-get
install' command invocation which installs everything needed in a minute or
two. In a vertical stack, we can control for other OS-specific dependencies
which is powerful.  But it doesn't span across OSs. Covering installations
both "horizontally" and "vertically" is hard.

Dirk