[Rd] Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘utils

William Dunlap wdun|@p @end|ng |rom t|bco@com
Sun Sep 8 18:58:02 CEST 2019

Look at section 6.1 of the R Installation and Admin manual.

6.1 Default packages

The set of packages loaded on startup is by default

> getOption("defaultPackages")
[1] "datasets"  "utils"     "grDevices" "graphics"  "stats"     "methods"

(plus, of course, *base*) and this can be changed by setting the option in
startup code (e.g. in ~/.Rprofile). It is initially set to the value of the
environment variable R_DEFAULT_PACKAGES if set (as a comma-separated list).
Setting R_DEFAULT_PACKAGES=NULL ensures that only package *base* is loaded.

Changing the set of default packages is normally used to reduce the set for
speed when scripting: in particular not using *methods*will reduce the
start-up time by a factor of up to two. But it can also be used to
customize R, e.g. for class use. Rscript also checks the environment
variable R_SCRIPT_DEFAULT_PACKAGES; if set, this takes precedence over
R_DEFAULT_PACKAGES.
Bill Dunlap
TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com