[Rd] suggestion: "." in [lsv]apply()

Sokol Serguei @oko| @end|ng |rom |n@@-tou|ou@e@|r
Thu Apr 16 17:53:07 CEST 2020

Simon,

Thanks for replying. In what follows I won't try to argue (I understood
that you find this a bad idea) but I would like to make clearer some of
your point for me (and may be for others).

Le 16/04/2020 à 16:48, Simon Urbanek a écrit :
> Serguei,
>> On 17/04/2020, at 2:24 AM, Sokol Serguei <sokol using insa-toulouse.fr>
>> wrote: Hi, I would like to make a suggestion for a small syntactic
>> modification of FUN argument in the family of functions [lsv]apply().
>> The idea is to allow one-liner expressions without typing
>> "function(item) {...}" to surround them. The argument to the
>> anonymous function is simply referred as ".". Let take an example.
>> With this new feature, the following call sapply(split(mtcars,
>> mtcars$cyl), function(d) summary(lm(mpg ~ wt, d))$r.squared) # 4 6 8
>> #0.5086326 0.4645102 0.4229655 could be rewritten as
>> sapply(split(mtcars, mtcars$cyl), summary(lm(mpg ~ wt, .))$r.squared)
>> "Not a big saving in typing" you can say but multiplied by the number
>> of [lsv]apply usage and a neater look, I think, the idea merits to be
>> considered.
> It's not in any way "neater", not only is it less readable, it's just
> plain wrong. What if the expression returned a function?
do you mean like in
l=sapply(1:3, function(i) function(x) i+x)
l[[1]](3)
# 4
l[[2]](3)
# 5

This is indeed a corner case but a pair of () or {} can keep wsapply()
in course:
l=wsapply(1:3, (function(x) .+x))

l[[1]](3)

# 4

l[[2]](3)

# 5
> How do you know that you don't want to apply the result of the call?
A small example (if it is significantly different from the one above)
would be very helpful for me to understand this point.

> For the same reason the implementation below won't work - very often
> you just pass a symbol that evaluates to a function and always en
> expression that returns a function and there is no way to distinguish
> that from your new proposed syntax.
Even with () or {} around such "dotted" expression?

Best,
Serguei.