[Rd] suggestion: "." in [lsv]apply()

Simon Urbanek @|mon@urb@nek @end|ng |rom R-project@org
Thu Apr 16 22:48:05 CEST 2020

Sergei,

the main problem that I was pointing out is is that there is no way you can introduce the new syntax without breaking the old one. The expression is evaluated to obtain a function, so by definition using anything that results in a valid expression for your syntax will break. E.g., using sapply(x, (foo)) is completely valid so you can't just change the evaluation of the expression to something different (which is what you're doing). As people were pointing out there are many ways to do this if you change the syntax.

I'm not arguing against the principle, I'm arguing about your particular proposal as it is inconsistent and not general. Personally, I find the current syntax much clearer and readable (defining anything by convention like . being the function variable seems arbitrary and "dirty" to me), but if you wanted to define a shorter syntax, you could use something like x ~> i + x. That said, I really don't see the value of not using function(x) [especially these days when people are arguing for long variable names with the justification that IDEs do all the work anyway], but as I said, my argument was against the actual proposal, not general ideas about syntax improvement.

Cheers,
Simon