[Rd] Demo for linking native routines between R packages

Zhang, Jitao David j|t@o_d@v|d@zh@ng @end|ng |rom roche@com
Fri Apr 17 09:29:58 CEST 2020

Dear R developers,

I want to advertise a small project for the educational purpose to show
people how to link native routines.

In R programming, we need to link to native routines in C, C++, or Fortran
from the R environment. In most cases, the linking works within one
package, namely the R code in a package calls the native code in the same
package.

This is not necessarily always the case. Sometimes, a piece of C or R code
in a package needs to link to native routines in another R package.
The *Writing
R Extensions manual describes *how to do this in the section *Linking to
native routines in other packages*. However, some details were not clear to
me, and I could find no demo dedicated to this purpose.

Therefore, I decided to build a demo that is available at my Github
repository Accio/demo-linking-native
<https://github.com/Accio/demo-linking-native>. Besides implementing the
linking of native routines between R packages, the project also documents
issues that I met and how I solved them.

In case you find the demo useful or you have suggestions on how to improve
it, please let me know. I wonder whether you think it is a good idea to
suggest to the core team to add the project to the manual so that other
people can understand the process better with the demo.

In case of questions, let me know.

Best wishes,
David

--

*Dr. Jitao David Zhang | 张继涛 | A Computational Biologist in Drug Discovery*

*Building 93/3.38, **Tel +41 61 688 62 51*

*Roche Pharmaceutical Research and Early Development
(pRED) | Pharmaceutical Sciences, BiOmics, BEDA (see http://**go.roche.com/BEDA
<http://go.roche.com/BEDA>**) | Roche Innovation Center Basel | F.
Hoffmann-La-Roche AG | CH-4070 Basel | Switzerland*
*Core working hours - No Meetings: Mo/8:30-16:00; Tu/8:30-17:00;
We/8:30-16:00; Th/9:00-11:30*
*Available for meetings: Mo/16:00-17:00; We/16:00-17:00**; Th/11:00-17:00;
Fr/8:00-10:00*

Confidentiality Note: This message is intended only for ...{{dropped:13}}