[Rd] undocumented 'offset' argument in src/library/grDevices/man/adjustcolor.Rd

Wollschlaeger, Daniel wo||@ch|@eger @end|ng |rom un|-m@|nz@de
Wed Dec 2 11:56:36 CET 2020

One might say that adjustcolor() performs affine color transformation. Argument 'offset' defines the shift in color space after the linear transformation defined by argument 'transform'. In other words, 'offset' represents additive color mixing (in the sense of adding lights, not paints) after linear transformation.

> red <- rgb(1, 0, 0)
> green <- c(0, 0.9, 0, 1)
> adjustcolor(red, 1, 0.9, 0.9, 0.9, offset=green)
[1] "#E6E600FF"

("red + green = yellow")

However, the implementation of adjustcolor() is a bit inconsistent with this description as it does not force 'offset' to be a color by using col2rgb(offset, alpha=TRUE)/255. The help page already gives an example for using 'offset' for the purpose of adding white light.