[Rd] New pipe operator

Fri Dec 4 15:05:06 CET 2020

On 04/12/2020 8:13 a.m., Hiroaki Yutani wrote:
>>   Error: function '::' not supported in RHS call of a pipe
>
> To me, this error looks much more friendly than magrittr's error.
> Some of them got too used to specify functions without (). This
> is OK until they use `::`, but when they need to use it, it takes
> hours to figure out why
>
> mtcars %>% base::head
> #> Error in .::base : unused argument (head)
>
> won't work but
>
> mtcars %>% head
>
> works. I think this is a too harsh lesson for ordinary R users to
> learn `::` is a function. I've been wanting for magrittr to drop the
> support for a function name without () to avoid this confusion,
> so I would very much welcome the new pipe operator's behavior.
> Thank you all the developers who implemented this!

I agree, it's an improvement on the corresponding magrittr error.

I think the semantics of not evaluating the RHS, but treating the pipe
as purely syntactical is a good decision.

I'm not sure I like the recommended way to pipe into a particular argument:

   mtcars |> subset(cyl == 4) |> \(d) lm(mpg ~ disp, data = d)

or

   mtcars |> subset(cyl == 4) |> function(d) lm(mpg ~ disp, data = d)

both of which are equivalent to

   mtcars |> subset(cyl == 4) |> (function(d) lm(mpg ~ disp, data = d))()

It's tempting to suggest it should allow something like

   mtcars |> subset(cyl == 4) |> lm(mpg ~ disp, data = .)

which would be expanded to something equivalent to the other versions:
but that makes it quite a bit more complicated.  (Maybe _ or \. should
be used instead of ., since those are not legal variable names.)

I don't think there should be an attempt to copy magrittr's special
casing of how . is used in determining whether to also include the
previous value as first argument.

Duncan Murdoch