[Rd] tcltk image reading problem (on a mac?): [tcl] encountered an unsupported criticial chunk type "eXIf"

Fox, John j|ox @end|ng |rom mcm@@ter@c@
Fri Jun 12 04:49:36 CEST 2020

Dear Simon,

> On Jun 11, 2020, at 9:00 PM, Simon Urbanek <simon.urbanek using r-project.org> wrote:
>
> Wayne,
>
> that one is unrelated, but interesting - you can fix it with
>
> sudo install_name_tool -change \
>  /usr/local/lib:/opt/X11/lib/libtk8.6.dylib \
>  /usr/local/lib/libtk8.6.dylib \
>  /usr/local/bin/wish8.6
>
> There is a bug in tcltk with IDs on the libraries which I have worked-around for R, but not for wish.
>
> Back to the original question - do you have any example of a file that doesn't work so I could test? Exif chunks are fairly rare in PNG and are a more late extension so I couldn't find any examples.

The code in Wayne's original message (copied below) generated the offending file:

library(tcltk)

fname <- "Rplot.png"
png(filename = fname, width = 500, height = 500)
hist(rnorm(20))
dev.off()

tkimage.create("photo", file = fname)

Best,