[Rd] Inconsistant result for normalizePath on Windows

Tomas Kalibera tom@@@k@||ber@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Mar 23 17:24:24 CET 2020

Hi Jiefei,

the change in handling trailing path separators is not on purpose, but
is a byproduct of a new implementation of normalizePath, which now
handles symbolic links and normalizes case in long path names. It is not
documented what happens to trailing separators, and hence portable
programs should not depend on it. I don't think it is a property that
should be documented/specified. The behavior of normalizePath is way too
complicated already and it's result is OS-specific anyway.

In R-devel as well as in 3.6, the trailing separator is preserved when
the path does not exist - simply, the original path is returned. When
the path does exist, R-devel removes the trailing separator but R 3.6
does not, which is because the underlying Windows API call to implement
it is now different. The new behavior reflects what
GetFinalPathNameByHandle returns, which is a function now used for
normalization also in other language runtimes on Windows. I think the
new behavior is better: paths differing only in the trailing separator
will be normalized to the same path.

Best
Tomas