[Rd] contribution to package graphics::barplot

Wed Mar 25 19:08:45 CET 2020

    > Dear R-devel members,

    > I made a small modification in the graphics::barplot function when used with a matrix and beside argument set to false in order to be able to order each bar according to its value (from smaller to bigger or bigger to smaller), while keeping the colors. It may be of general interest (for example to be able to visualize the occurrences of letters from different texts, or the rank of a condition...). I used it in Figure 3 of one of my article here (http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/eea.12693).

    > I would like to ask you if it's worth proposing the modification to the barplot function (and how to do so ?) or if I should consider building a separate R package ? The modified function is attached with modifications from lines 119 and 170, and examples from lines 230.

Because you did *not* attach the R script as a text file (well
  from one of the 99% of mail programs which do *not* allow you to
  set the MIME-type of an attachment)

it was attached as MIME type "application/octet-stream" which
translates to basically "unspecified/binary"
and such unknown attachments are not allowed (for virus and spam
protection).

But then, because I'm one of the moderators of the R-devel list who
had to approve your message, I got an e-mail from which I can
extract the attachment,  and as I'm using e-mail software from
the rare group where you *can* specify the MIME type, I attach
it here, for you and all readers.

Best regards,
Martin Maechler