[Rd] edit() doubles backslashes when keep.source=TRUE

brodie gaslam brod|e@g@@|@m @end|ng |rom y@hoo@com
Fri May 15 18:48:07 CEST 2020

> On Friday, May 15, 2020, 12:13:04 PM EDT, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd using debian.org> wrote:
> On 15 May 2020 at 15:41, Martin Maechler wrote:
> | <whining>
> |
> |    Why does nobody anymore  help R development by working with
> |    "R-devel", or at least then the alpha, beta and the "RC"
> |    (Release Candidate) versions that we release daily for about one
> |    month before the final release?
> |
> |    Notably a highly staffed enterprise such as Rstudio (viz the bug
> |    report 17800 above), but also others could really help by
> |    starting to use the "next version" of R on a routine basis ...
> |
> | <whining/>
>
> Seconded. Without testing we can never know. R Core does their part.
>
> I provided weekly Debian binaries. One each for the two alphas releases, for
> the beta release, for the release candidate.  It is easy to use these, for
> example in a Docker container.
>
> It is also easy to use this on a normal machine as they are standard (Debian)
> packages: install, try some tests, uninstall, revert to previous version by
> installing that.
>
> Dirk

This is a very reasonably request, and all useRs who benefit from the
tireless work of R-core should consider doing it.  I have considered
it, but compiling R from sources on OS X has been my stumbling block.
At least last time I tried I got stuck at the  Fortran step. It doesn't
 help I have very limited experience compiling  software of the complexity
of R.  Really, I've only done it within the warm welcoming confines of the
 vagrant image Tomas Kalibera set up for `rchk`.

I also use r-devel on docker, but that isn't very practical for
day-to-day usage, which is what I think we need.

What would it take to generate pre-release binaries for OS X (and Windows)?  I
imagine if such were available the volume of testers would increase
dramatically (at least, I haven't seen them if they exist).
Maybe something the R Consortium would consider funding?

Best,

B.