[Rd] edit() doubles backslashes when keep.source=TRUE

Bemis, Kylie k@bem|@ @end|ng |rom northe@@tern@edu
Fri May 15 18:53:38 CEST 2020

Nightly binary builds of R-devel for macOS are available: http://mac.r-project.org

~~~
Kylie Ariel Bemis (she/her)
Khoury College of Computer Sciences
Northeastern University
kuwisdelu.github.io<https://kuwisdelu.github.io>

On May 15, 2020, at 12:48 PM, brodie gaslam via R-devel <r-devel using r-project.org<mailto:r-devel using r-project.org>> wrote:

On Friday, May 15, 2020, 12:13:04 PM EDT, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd using debian.org<mailto:edd using debian.org>> wrote:
On 15 May 2020 at 15:41, Martin Maechler wrote:
| <whining>
|
|    Why does nobody anymore  help R development by working with
|    "R-devel", or at least then the alpha, beta and the "RC"
|    (Release Candidate) versions that we release daily for about one
|    month before the final release?
|
|    Notably a highly staffed enterprise such as Rstudio (viz the bug
|    report 17800 above), but also others could really help by
|    starting to use the "next version" of R on a routine basis ...
|
| <whining/>

Seconded. Without testing we can never know. R Core does their part.

I provided weekly Debian binaries. One each for the two alphas releases, for
the beta release, for the release candidate.  It is easy to use these, for
example in a Docker container.

It is also easy to use this on a normal machine as they are standard (Debian)
packages: install, try some tests, uninstall, revert to previous version by
installing that.

Dirk

This is a very reasonably request, and all useRs who benefit from the
tireless work of R-core should consider doing it.  I have considered
it, but compiling R from sources on OS X has been my stumbling block.
At least last time I tried I got stuck at the  Fortran step. It doesn't
help I have very limited experience compiling  software of the complexity
of R.  Really, I've only done it within the warm welcoming confines of the
vagrant image Tomas Kalibera set up for `rchk`.

I also use r-devel on docker, but that isn't very practical for
day-to-day usage, which is what I think we need.

What would it take to generate pre-release binaries for OS X (and Windows)?  I
imagine if such were available the volume of testers would increase
dramatically (at least, I haven't seen them if they exist).
Maybe something the R Consortium would consider funding?

Best,

B.