[Rd] edit() doubles backslashes when keep.source=TRUE

Avraham Adler @vr@h@m@@d|er @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri May 15 18:54:08 CEST 2020

I build windows binaries from source. As of now, the only choice is R-revel
unless I want to monkey around more with Jeroens’s PKGBUILD script (which
is On my to-do list).

It’s pretty straightforward, although I’m seeing a lot of issues with
packages which had explicit calls to LOCALSOFT in configure.win as that
doesn’t exist anymore.

The binaries have passed make check, though. Would it help if I built some
and forwarded it somewhere?

Avi

On Fri, May 15, 2020 at 12:48 PM brodie gaslam via R-devel <
r-devel using r-project.org> wrote:

> > On Friday, May 15, 2020, 12:13:04 PM EDT, Dirk Eddelbuettel <
> edd using debian.org> wrote:
> > On 15 May 2020 at 15:41, Martin Maechler wrote:
> > | <whining>
> > |
> > |    Why does nobody anymore  help R development by working with
> > |    "R-devel", or at least then the alpha, beta and the "RC"
> > |    (Release Candidate) versions that we release daily for about one
> > |    month before the final release?
> > |
> > |    Notably a highly staffed enterprise such as Rstudio (viz the bug
> > |    report 17800 above), but also others could really help by
> > |    starting to use the "next version" of R on a routine basis ...
> > |
> > | <whining/>
> >
> > Seconded. Without testing we can never know. R Core does their part.
> >
> > I provided weekly Debian binaries. One each for the two alphas releases,
> for
> > the beta release, for the release candidate.  It is easy to use these,
> for
> > example in a Docker container.
> >
> > It is also easy to use this on a normal machine as they are standard
> (Debian)
> > packages: install, try some tests, uninstall, revert to previous version
> by
> > installing that.
> >
> > Dirk
>
> This is a very reasonably request, and all useRs who benefit from the
> tireless work of R-core should consider doing it.  I have considered
> it, but compiling R from sources on OS X has been my stumbling block.
> At least last time I tried I got stuck at the  Fortran step. It doesn't
>  help I have very limited experience compiling  software of the complexity
> of R.  Really, I've only done it within the warm welcoming confines of the
>  vagrant image Tomas Kalibera set up for `rchk`.
>
> I also use r-devel on docker, but that isn't very practical for
> day-to-day usage, which is what I think we need.
>
> What would it take to generate pre-release binaries for OS X (and
> Windows)?  I
> imagine if such were available the volume of testers would increase
> dramatically (at least, I haven't seen them if they exist).
> Maybe something the R Consortium would consider funding?
>
> Best,
>
> B.

Sent from Gmail Mobile

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]