[Rd] [External] Feature Request: User Prompt + Message First Execution when "Managing Search Path Conflicts"

Abby Spurdle @purd|e@@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu May 21 01:46:03 CEST 2020

On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 10:37 AM <luke-tierney using uiowa.edu> wrote:
> Providing a way to more easily resolve situations that otherwise would
> be errors is a reasonable thing for an IDE to do.

In principle, yes.
However, I note that the word "easily" could mean different things to
different people.
Certain IDE* (not naming any names, and not distinguishing between
singular/plural), introduce bugs and other problems, by altering R's
behavior.

Also, if they absolutely must change things, perhaps the first thing
they should change is the error messages:

    I'm sorry, this program didn't work.
    It could be R's fault, but probably is the IDE's fault.
    Please do NOT post a message on R-help saying:
        Why did R crash?
    Without first running your code via a terminal.

> I would prefer is
> such things were optional and off by default, but other way not.

That's good to hear.

> If an IDE does this and you don't approve then you don't have to use
> it.

Yes.
And please let statistics and data science students know that.