[Rd] some questions about R internal SEXP types

Tomas Kalibera tom@@@k@||ber@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Sep 8 12:08:57 CEST 2020

On 9/8/20 11:47 AM, Dan Kortschak wrote:
> Thanks, Tomas.
>
> This is unfortunate. Calling between Go and C is not cheap; the gc
> implementation of the Go compiler (as opposed to gccgo) uses different
> calling conventions from C and there are checks to ensure that Go
> allocated memory pointers do not leak into C code. For this reason I
> wanted to avoid these if at all possible (I cannot for allocations
> since I don't want to keep tracking changes in how R implements its GC
> and allocation).
>
> However, if SEXP type behaviour of the standard types, and how
> attributes are handled are not highly mobile, I think that what I'm
> doing will be OK - at worst the Go code will panic and result in an R
> error. The necessary interface to R for allocations is only eight
> functions[1].

I am not sure if I understand correctly, but if you were accessing
directly the memory of SEXPs from Go implementation instead of calling
through exported access functions documented in WRE, that would be a
really bad idea. Of course fine for research and experimentation, but
the internal structure can and does change at any time, otherwise we
would not be able to develop nor maintain R. Such direct access
bypassing WRE would likely be a clear case for rejection in CRAN for
this interface and any packages using it, and I hope in other package
repositories as well.

However, I believe the overhead of calling the C-level access functions
R exports should be minimal compared to other overheads. You can't hope,
anyway, for being able to efficiently call tiny functions frequently
between Go and R. This can only work for bigger functions, anyway, and
then the Go-C overhead should not be important.

> Note that there is a lot in WRE that's beyond what I want rgo to be
> able to do (calling in to R from Go for example). In fact, there's just
> a lot in WRE (it's almost 3 times the length of the Go language spec
> and memory model reference combined). The issues around weak references
> and external pointers are not something that I want to deal with;
> working with that kind of object is not idiomatic for Go (in fact
> without using C.malloc, R external pointers from Go would be forbidden
> by the Go runtime) and I would not expect that they are likely to be
> used by people writing extensions for R in Go.

Sure, I think it is perfectly fine to cover only a subset, if that is
already useful to write some extensions in Go. Maintenance would be
easiest if Go programs didn't call back into the R runtime at all, so
fewer calls the better for maintenance.

Best
Tomas

>>> [2]https://github.com/rgonomic/rgo/issues/1