[Rd] some questions about R internal SEXP types

Dan Kortschak d@n+r-deve| @end|ng |rom kort@ch@k@|o
Tue Sep 8 13:13:10 CEST 2020

On Tue, 2020-09-08 at 12:08 +0200, Tomas Kalibera wrote:
> I am not sure if I understand correctly, but if you were accessing
> directly the memory of SEXPs from Go implementation instead of
> calling
> through exported access functions documented in WRE, that would be a
> really bad idea. Of course fine for research and experimentation, but
> the internal structure can and does change at any time, otherwise we
> would not be able to develop nor maintain R. Such direct access
> bypassing WRE would likely be a clear case for rejection in CRAN for
> this interface and any packages using it, and I hope in other package
> repositories as well.

Sorry, I'm coming from a language that has strong backwards
compatibility guarantees and (generally) machine level data types, so
it is surprising to me that basic data types are that fluid.

> However, I believe the overhead of calling the C-level access
> functions
> R exports should be minimal compared to other overheads. You can't
> hope,
> anyway, for being able to efficiently call tiny functions frequently
> between Go and R. This can only work for bigger functions, anyway,
> and
> then the Go-C overhead should not be important.

This really depends on the complexity/structure of the data structures
that are being handed in to Go. The entirety of the tool is there to
allow interchange of data between Go and R, in the case of atomic
vectors, this cost is very cheap with direct access or via Cgo calling,
however each name access or attribute access (both of which are
necessary for struct population - and structs may come in slices) is a
Cgo call; these look ups go from ~nanosecond to ~hundred nanoseconds
per lookup.

> > Note that there is a lot in WRE that's beyond what I want rgo to be
> > able to do (calling in to R from Go for example). In fact, there's
> > just
> > a lot in WRE (it's almost 3 times the length of the Go language
> > spec
> > and memory model reference combined). The issues around weak
> > references
> > and external pointers are not something that I want to deal with;
> > working with that kind of object is not idiomatic for Go (in fact
> > without using C.malloc, R external pointers from Go would be
> > forbidden
> > by the Go runtime) and I would not expect that they are likely to
> > be
> > used by people writing extensions for R in Go.
>
> Sure, I think it is perfectly fine to cover only a subset, if that is
> already useful to write some extensions in Go. Maintenance would be
> easiest if Go programs didn't call back into the R runtime at all, so
> fewer calls the better for maintenance.

This is apparently unavoidable though from what I read here.

> Best
> Tomas

thanks
Dan