[Rd] [External] Re: Operations with long altrep vectors cause segfaults on Windows

Tomas Kalibera tom@@@k@||ber@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Sep 9 09:03:05 CEST 2020

On 9/9/20 8:48 AM, Hugh Parsonage wrote:
> I am unable to set break or use gdb with any success when I use that version.
>
> On linux I would do R -d gdb but this gives "unknown option '-d' "
> while gdb R.exe (in the same directory as the debug version) gives the
> same output as before.
>
> I'm happy to help but I appreciate this list might not be the best
> place to get a tutorial on using gdb on Windows.

Essentially, the steps are: build with DEBUG=T (to have debug symbols),
possibly updating EOPTS in MkRules.local to disable optimizations, then
run gdb loading RGui, "set solib-search-path", run RGui from gdb. Then
you can break to debugger from RGui menu, or just run the code that
segfaults, and you get to gdb and can print the stacktrace, etc. You can
find some information in rw-FAQ (R for Windows FAQ), but yes, it is
harder than on Linux. We can take care of this report, but of course in
the longer term it would help if more people could take their time to
setup debugging and analyze bugs even on Windows.

Tomas