[Rd] New URL redirect checks

Yihui Xie x|e @end|ng |rom y|hu|@n@me
Thu Sep 17 15:31:23 CEST 2020

I don't have an opinion on the URL shorteners, but how about the
original question? Redirection can be extremely useful in general.
Shortening URLs is only one of its possible applications. FWIW, CRAN
uses (303) redirect itself, e.g.,
https://cran.r-project.org/package=MASS is redirected to
https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/MASS/index.html Should these
"canonical" CRAN links be disallowed in packages, too? Just as another
example, https://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/release.html is
redirected to the latest Windows installer of R (through the <meta>
tag).

If the intent of the new URL redirect check is to disallow using URL
shorteners like bit.ly or nyti.ms, that may be fair, but it it is to
disallow using any URLs that are redirected, I think this CRAN policy
may be worth a reconsideration.

Regards,
Yihui
--